Tags

, , , , ,

The theme for this year’s summer reading program was “Fizz Boom Read!” — a member of the staff, a retired teacher, selected several “sciency”-themed books and I developed the crafts. (I’ll work at sharing our selections and crafts in a series of blog posts.)

hermionish.bug2

Book
The Very Ugly Bug by Liz Pichon
Wilton, CT : Tiger Tales, 2005
1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill. ; 27 cm.
ISBN: 9781589250482; OCLC: 56129391

Story Summary
There once was a very ugly bug, with spotted legs, googly eyes and a horrible hairy back. She wonders why her friends have pretty small eyes, shiny green backs, or nice fluttery wings. The ugly bug thought that if she looked like her friends, then she would be more beautiful. So she made herself a disguise. But her new costume made her even tastier looking to the birds! When a bird swoops down to gobble up the disguised ugly bug, something strange happens… The big scare made the very ugly bug even uglier! So ugly in fact, that the bird was scared away. The ugly bug learns that just being herself is the best defense. Liz Pichon’s witty text and colorful artwork highlight this story about self-acceptance.

Craft
Children in attendance made a very ugly (or pretty) bug of their own to take home.

Staff, volunteers, and patrons saved their paper/cardboard egg cartons. I preferred this variety versus styrofoam cartons because paint would and glue would likely adhere better to the surface.

I cut each carton into four 3-segment bugs — think: ants — and painted them with red tempera.

hermionish.bug1Due to the ages of the children we were expecting, I opted to do all of the basic prep work; punching holes in the cartons to run pipe cleaners through the underside to serve as legs — one for each segment of the ant.

I used self-adhering googly eyes for the bugs and attached the antennae using Glue Dots.

mini-glue-dotsWhen selecting decorations for the bugs I opted to go with colored puff balls, colorful buttons, feathers, and a member of the library board donated some faux leaves from an old wreath.

As always, the night before the craft, I divided the decorations into small paper bowls to make it easier for sharing amongst the group. I had several sheets of Glue Dots in a couple of bowls.

I’d say the most challenging part of this craft was getting the kids accustomed to using the Glue Dots — peeling the protective plastic sheet and pressing the dot against their bug. It was difficult for some of the younger kids to do, but thankfully, we had lots of adults on hand to help them along with their projects. Overall, it was WAY less messy than using traditional glue.
hermionish.bug3